Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ssl-enum-ciphers with just hostname fails

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 21:23:54 -0500

Kent,

Would you mind trying the attached patch to see if it works for you?
It checks for a fatal unrecognized_name alert and retries after
removing the SNI extension entirely.

Dan

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com> wrote:
Kent,

Thanks for noticing the problem. It makes sense that we're not
handling this properly: we try to do the server name extension with
the best info we have, but don't try to fall back to just IP (no SNI
extension) if there's a failure. It would certainly help to have your
pcap file, though I'd guess I could replicate it by setting a bogus
/etc/hosts entry for a server that supports SNI and scanning with that
name.

Dan