Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap's nc version fails to correctly do IPv4 fallback

From: Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah () zimbra com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 17:29:17 -0800

--On November 18, 2014 at 7:14:15 PM -0600 Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com> wrote:

Quanah,

Thank you for bringing this up. We previously debated this issue and were
on the brink of accepting a patch to implement this sort of fallback in
December 2013 [1]. I'm not really sure what happened there, but I will
look into it and see if we can get this implemented for the next release.

As obvious workarounds, you can explicitly request IPv6 or IPv4 with the
-6 or -4 options respectively or use explicit numeric addresses.

I appreciate the follow up. In general, having to specify -4 or -6 when virtually all linux systems have both ipv4 and ipv6 localhost defined makes scripting "nc" calls a major pain. Not everything (yet) has dual stack support, and even those things that do, are not necessarily designed to listen on both ipv4 and ipv6 by default due to legacy reasons. We basically hit this when adding support in Zimbra for RHEL7 (which RHEL changed to ship the nmap nc). All the other platforms we support use the OpenBSD nc, and thus this was never an issue before. ;)

Regards,
Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount