Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Idea: ssh-netstat.nse and adding columns to output

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:54:47 -0500

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM, Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com> wrote:

And then I thought of how would I expect the output to look like and I
realized that we could use a new piece of output functionality for that.
What I'm thinking about is a way to add a new column to the port
scanning output,

Of course one could argue that in this particular case it would be
better to just change local-netstat.nse's output to just mention the
differences, but still there are quite a lot of cases (version
detection?) where this feature could be useful.

Jacek,

I already responded to your other slightly-related post, but I wanted
to make sure I linked it (http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2014/q4/94) to
this discussion. Essentially, I like the idea of analyzing our output
for ways to improve it, but I generally don't like solutions that:

1. require changes to the NSE API (unless they have considerably large
benefit), or
2. push us near or past 80 columns. We already have the port number (9
cols), state (8 cols, or 14 with "open|filtered"), service name (half
are over 7 characters), reason and ttl (easily 14 characters), and
version info (60 chars for scanme.nmap.org's ssh service). So this is
probably not a place where we are willing to add more output.

Dan