Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: issues.nmap.org (Github Issues) beta test now open!

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:30:44 +0000

On 07/01/2015 20:56, Fyodor wrote:
On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com <mailto:bonsaiviking () gmail com>> wrote:

    As a few of you already know, there is an "unofficial mirror" of Nmap's source code on Github [1]. In the past
week or so, we have taken steps to make it less-unofficial. Today, I am officially announcing the open Beta-test of
Github Issues as the Nmap Project bugtracker: http://issues.nmap.org/

    The nmap-dev mailing list is a great tool and community, and it's not going anywhere. We will continue to accept
bug reports, patches, questions, and musings via dev () nmap org <mailto:dev () nmap org>. But wherever possible, we
will convert those into issues on the bugtracker so that things are much less likely to slip through the cracks.

This is great! I've been playing with this bug tracker for a while and think it will really help organize our bug and
feature and issue tracking.  And I want to reiterate what you said in your second paragraph--the dev list will remain
central for community discussion.  After all, if someone files a feature request or bug report just on
issues.nmap.org <http://issues.nmap.org>, it is unlikely to get much attention/discussion on its own.  So I think a
much better process would be for them to either:

1) file the bug then also send the details to the dev list for discussion along with a link to the github issue.  The
issue can be updated based on any useful followup discussion and you could even add a link to the mailing list
discussion threat to the issue.

2) Same as above, but you could start with the mailing list thread and discussion and then the github issue could be
added during or after the discussion when more may have been figured out.

I think the key is just to avoid "drive by" issue filings which could end up kind of orphaned in the issue tracker
without community input/discussion.

It ought to be possible to create a user account for the list, to be notified when an issue is assigned to it. To deal
with any issue filings which don't follow the aforementioned processes, a person with sufficient privs could then do
process number 1) just by assigning the bug to the list.