Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [GSoC 2015] Ideas, thoughts

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 22:43:58 -0600

s0h3ck,

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 4:29 PM, s0h3ck . <s0h3ck () gmail com> wrote:

Dear mentors and Nmap's team,

I wonder if a tool who is able to tell you how many XML or HTML elements
are in a specific chosen web page could be interesting in Nmap's team?

In fact, this tool would be able to describe the hierarchy of the website
(DOM) by default. Then, with arguments supplied by the user, we could know
how many hidden elements are on the specific web page. For instance, some
websites has hidden input and he could be useful to know how many are
hidden on the website. Another amazing example could be to detect if your
web page implements news feature added from W3C. Furthermore, this tool
would have the ability to research a specific element by following the
search item as the first argument and specify additional arguments like the
minimum or the maximum elements before the script stops looking into the
source page and return results. The tool could be able to compare how many
counted element between website and another. In that way, it can be a great
opportunity to detect XSS, SQL and more.

What are your thoughts ?

We have had a potential project [1] to add an XML parser to NSE for several
years now. This would be a great enabler not only for web-type tasks like
you're mentioning, but also as a driver for lots of XML-based protocols:
XMLRPC, SOAP, BGPmon, etc. We have more thoughts on this and the related
task of HTML parsing on our Script Ideas wiki page [2].

Next, couple of questions :
1. Does Nmap has a terminal tutorial like vimtutor (Vim) ? If no, does
Nmap's team would be interest in it as part of the work in GSoC (for maybe
one or two week) ?

We don't have such a tutorial, though we do have lots of great, readable
documentation available. I think that some sort of usability analysis for
each of our tools would be an interesting project, and could contribute a
lot to ease of use.

2. Does Nmap needs more french translations?  (I can give a boost maybe
for this summer ;))

We will never turn down a chance to improve our translations in every
language. Our Zenmap translation is current as of November 2014, so that's
pretty good, but our French man page has only had a couple minor
corrections since 2007! We generally don't have students doing translation
work for GSOC directly, but helping with translations beforehand can be a
good way to learn more about Nmap itself and interact with the community.

3. In the proposal, do you recommend to write both the real name and the
pseudo or only the real name ?

In the proposal template (forgive me for not having a link at the moment)
we ask for your name (real name) and any instant messenger names and
protocols you wish to use. If you have a handle that you use around the
Net, we'd like to know, but that's up to you. Real name is required, though.

4. Where is the sql-injection.html ?
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/sql-injection.html
Broken link : http://nmap.org/soc/#nsescripts

Thanks for pointing this out! I fixed this and 2 other broken links on that
page due to script renaming. The one you asked about is:
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/http-sql-injection.html

Dan

[1] https://secwiki.org/w/GSoC_community_ideas#XML_parser_for_NSE
[2] https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Script_Ideas#XML_and_HTML_parsing