Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Android UI for Nmap

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:01:15 -0800

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 11:35 PM, Vlatko Kosturjak <kost () linux hr> wrote:

After years of porting and cross compiling, finally, here's Android UI for
Nmap:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kost.nmap.android.networkmapper
So, I guess the circle is now complete ;)

Hi Vlatko, that's great news!  I only had a couple minutes today, but the
download/install of the UI worked and then it was able to download and run
the Nmap executable.  This is on a Nexus 5 running stock 5.0 Lollipop.  At
first I tried "scanme.nmap.org" as the target and that always fails in
about 0.15 seconds saying 0 hosts were scanned.  The same happened with
other hostnames, so I think there is a problem with the DNS lookup.  But I
then tried against the Scanme IPv4 IP (74.207.244.221) and the port scan
succeeded!  I tried again with -A and both version detection and NSE seemed
to work.  Nice!

I was surprised that I wasn't asked about permissions when I installed the
app.  Normally Android asks me to confirm a list of permissions before
installation.  Strange.

I was going to ask how to give custom command lines to help debug, but it
looks like I can just stick things like -d5 and --packet-trace in with the
host names.  It might be nice to have a "custom" option in the scan menu
which lets people specify arguments more explicitly.  Even if "custom" just
gave a text box suggesting that the user specify the CLA in the host box,
that'd probably help.

I hope I have time to look into the DNS issue more.  If you'd like me to
try anything specific, just let me know.  I've tried it on both Wifi and
the AT&T packet network with the same problem.

Cheers,
Fyodor