Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: a couple of minor MAC prefixes

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 07:54:35 -0500

Royce,

Thanks for the report. This is present in IEEE's MA-L registry [1], where
we get our data. The issue of duplicates has been brought up before [2]
back in 2009, and it was determined that Nmap could robustly handle
duplicates, simply choosing the first match in the file. I think that until
a user complains of an actual incorrect scan result (indicating real
hardware with one of these MAC prefixes assigned), we should probably just
leave it alone, since it would require arbitrary judgment to pick one to be
the "real" one.

Dan

[1] http://standards.ieee.org/cgi-bin/ouisearch?080030
[2] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q4/386

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 12:49 AM, Royce Williams <royce () techsolvency com>