Nmap Development mailing list archives

"Tagged" Output

From: Davy Durham <ddurham () bomgar com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 15:58:43 -0500

Hi, we possibly spoke on IRC today.

I was trying to ensure that I could match <host> entries in the xml output to the input host list given to nmap.

Attached is a patch that appears to work.

You can suffix any hostname/address-expr with ^mytag and it will include it as <host tag="mytag" ...> in the output. I find this necessary because my user gives me a some recordings with each containing a hostname (really could be ip, hostname or fqdn) and I need a way to know which result in the output corresponds to the record the user gave me.

How likely is this patch to be accepted? I'm flexible on the suffix separator if it needs to change (originally wanted '#' like a hashtag, but that's processed as a comment.. which I suppose could just as well be "preserved" in the xml as comment="...").

If it's acceptable, what else would I need to do (e.g. update man pages, post online where?)

I desire to retain no rights to the changes.

Thanks