Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug: nmap doesn't run on Windows XP anymore

From: Ivan Shatsky <ivan.shatsky () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 01:51:56 +0300

Well, googled this article:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/linking-applications-using-visual-studio-2012-to-run-on-windows-xp

C, C++ and Intel Visual Fortran applications built using Microsoft Visual
Studio 2012 or 2013 may fail to run on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003.
The typical failure mode is the error "<path to executable> is not a valid
Win32 application."

For C/C++ projects, right click on the project and select Properties. On
the Configuration Properties. Change Configuration to "All Configurations".
On the Configuration Properties > General page, change Platform Toolset to:

   - In Visual Studio 2012: "Visual Studio 2012 - Windows XP (v110_xp)".
   Click OK.
   - In Visual Studio 2013: "Visual Studio 2013 - Windows XP (v120_xp)".
   Click OK
   - In Visual Studio 2015: "Visual Studio 2015 - Windows XP (v140_xp)".
   Click OK

BTW, I just have a 2003R2 on my virtual box, so I checked nmap 6.49 on it,
and it gives the same error. And there are whole four days of support for
Windows Server 2003!
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2003/
:)

Ivan,

I'm sorry to say that Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP in April
2014 [1]. Because of this, we have not done any testing of our newest
builds on Windows XP. I don't know exactly what the cause of this error is,
but it is unlikely that we will be spending any effort to support Nmap on
Windows XP. Our own testing shows that Nmap works well in Windows 7 and
Windows 8.1, if those are options that would suit you.

Dan

[1] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Ivan Shatsky <ivan.shatsky () gmail com>