Nmap Development mailing list archives

scanning through linux virtual interface

From: Robin Wood <robin@digi.ninja>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 11:12:57 +0000

I'm on a box with two interfaces, venet0 and venet0:0, the first has a
localhost address, the second the external address of the server.

If I try a a basic scan I get this:

# nmap 1.2.3.4

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-11-12 06:06 EST
route_dst_netlink: can't find interface "venet0"

so I specify the virtual interface:

# nmap 1.2.3.4 -e venet0:0

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-11-12 06:07 EST
I cannot figure out what source address to use for device venet0:0,
does it even exist?
QUITTING!

trying to tell it what the source IP is:

# nmap 1.2.3.4 -e venet0:0 -S 2.3.4.5
WARNING:  If -S is being used to fake your source address, you may
also have to use -e <interface> and -Pn .  If you are using it to
specify your real source address, you can ignore this warning.

Starting Nmap 6.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2015-11-12 06:08 EST
Could not find interface venet0:0 which was specified by -e

Don't know if this matters, there is no default route which I'd expect
to break networking but the machine is working fine, I can ssh to it
and it has full internet access:

# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U     0      0        0 venet0

How can I get it to scan from this machine?

Robin