Nmap Development mailing list archives

Fun story from service fingerprint integration

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 17:08:02 -0500

Hey all,

So I was busily working through the service fingerprint submissions when I
came across a previously-unrecorded web server. On an Intelbras home router
in Brazil, a lightweight TLS implentation called axTLS is being used along
with its embedded web server, axhttpd. When I add service fingerprints, I
always search for the author or vendor of the software to make a CPE entry.
While checking out the Contact Us page [1], I recognized a name from Nmap's
history: Doug Hoyte [2].

The committers file says Doug "has his handiwork throughout the Nmap
codebase. He has worked on almost every subsystem." I know of him primarily
through his work with service fingerprint integration, so this was a fun
meta-loop.

Dan

[1] http://axtls.sourceforge.net/contact.htm
[2] http://www.hcsw.org/nmap/