Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap and layer 2 - anything fun to do with wireless?

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 08:47:19 +0100

W dniu 03.02.2016 o 05:29, Fyodor pisze:
On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com> wrote:

List,

I did a quick grep at the mailing list and found that we have some
scripts interacting with layer 2, like broadcast-ataoe-discover.nse. I
also found that there are very few mentions of Wireless, WiFi or 802* in
the scripts and couldn't find any example of script targeting the 802.11
protocol. Is it outside of the scope of Nmap or we just hadn't thought
of anything fun to do with it?

I think layer 2 scripts are great!  Core Nmap of course also has a number
of layer 2 operations (MAC address checking, broadcast-related operations,
etc.)

Cheers,
Fyodor

Hi Fyodor,

Thanks for the reply, but that's not exactly what I asked about. The
question is: is there anything fun at layer 2 that we could do with 802.11?

Cheers,
d33tah