Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Password profiling in NSE

From: George Chatzisofroniou <sophron () latthi com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 12:55:48 -0500

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 3:36 AM, Giacomo Mantani
<giacomo.mantani () studio unibo it> wrote:
I am a GSoC student interested, it seems useful. I could help you develop some
features if you want and the community approve your work.  Independently from be
approved or not in the summer of code program (results will be public on 25
April).

Great. I'm available for helping you out. Feel free to ping me on IRC
(my handle is sophron and I'm on Freenode) to discuss the next steps
we should take.

I have worked in an HTML parser library in order for the GSoC proposal, it
enhance http-title and other script, maybe we could use it to do a better
information gathering phase.

I had a look at your HTML parser. A problem I see is that is based on
PEG, making it memory-consuming. An alternative would be a pull-driven
library, such as Pico XML [1], which has been referenced a few times
on this list.

If there is an efficient HTML parser in place, we could potentially
grab the most frequent words in an HTML response and feed them to our
pwdprofile library.

Speaking about more complicated mangling algorithms, password often are made up
only with characters that are in the keyboard. I think that really few people use
characters outside (not displayed). We could leverage this supposition to
get a subset of character to use in mutation algorithm. In addition, we could
take advantage of the target country to guessing the keyboard layout.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. We are still mounting a
dictionary attack (rather than a raw brute forcing). The patch I
posted replaces letters with their leet alternatives already.

Have you already a repository with some version control software?

I haven't, but I can if this is going to help you contributing.

[1]: https://sourceforge.net/projects/picoxml/

--
George Chatzisofroniou