Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: RFC: patch to skip some service matches

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 17:21:19 -0600

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 03:52:02PM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
I considered this concept, but didn't get as far as investigating actual
algorithms because of an important constraint we have: the order of match lines
matters. We have several cases where we put a more-specific match earlier and a
more-general match later, so that a single service can stop at the
most-specific match we can generate. Some examples:

* Nearly all softmatches are very general and can be found near the end of the
matches in a probe.
* These comments in nmap-service-probes:
# Needs to go before the Apache match lines -Doug
# Needs to go before BaseHTTPServer match lines.
# These should hopefully match before the more general Ubicom line in
GenericLines
# Has to come before BIND matches.
# Has to come before BIND matches.
# Sometimes we can get a host name or an IP address; those with come before
those without.

I thought that just taking the match with the smallest index would
accomplish that, but maybe I'm wrong.