Nmap Development mailing list archives

npcap causing no network connectivity for a minute or two after boot on Win 7 32

From: "Michael D. Lawler" <mdlawler () lawlers us>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 09:39:50 -0400

If I use npcap 0.8-R9 everything works fine. Versions 0.08-R10 through 0.09-R3 have the problem. The problem happens whether or not I set the npcap driver to load at boot or not. When I use the problematic versions and boot I have no network connectivity for a minute or two (I haven't timed it down to the second) and then network connectivity just starts working on it's own. If I set the driver not to start at boot and then once the system boots I do

net start npcap

The driver starts, but connectivity still is not available. If I uninstall npcap while there is no connectivity then connectivity returns immediately upon the uninstall. My guess is that something changed between 0.08-R9 and 0.08-R10 in the way the driver is registered in the registry that is causing my problem, but I don't know where to look further.

--
Michael D. Lawler
email mailto:mdlawler () lawlers us