Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: HTTP scripts caching

From: nnposter <nnposter () users sourceforge net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 08:16:32 -0600

On 3/18/17 12:06 AM, Zack wrote:
I noticed that if we call http-* scripts, the nse engine makes separate
http requests for the same url from different scripts. Is there a way to
reuse the HTTP response somehow? I am an NSE newbie - but I imagine some
sort of internal cache might help.

There is a local caching mechanism, although it does not operate the
same way as a classic browser. Caching directives sent in the HTTP
response are ignored. Individual scripts instead control the cache use
with options like "bypass_cache" (meaning "I want a fresh response") or
"no_cache" (meaning "Do not cache my request").

For details take a look at the NSE documentation at
https://nmap.org/nsedoc/lib/http.html

If you do see a case where subsequent requests should be fulfilled from
the local cache but they are not then please document it as an issue at
GitHub: https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues

Cheers,
nnposter