Nmap Development mailing list archives

Bug Fix for SMB Version Formatting in Nmap 7.93+

From: Yam Mesicka <yammesicka () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:39:15 +0300

Hi Nmap Developers,

I've identified a bug in Nmap in Nmap 7.93 and 7.94 related to inconsistent
formatting of SMB versions detected by Nmap's SMB scripts.

The issue:

* Nmap 7.94 outputs "3:1:1"
* Nmap 7.93 outputs "311"
* Expected format (as in Nmap 7.92) is "3.1.1"

This inconsistency can cause problems for scripts that rely on accurate SMB
version information. To address this, I've:

* Opened an issue (#2744 [1]) with details and steps to reproduce
* Submitted a pull request [2] that modifies stdnse.tohex to ensure
consistent version formatting

I would greatly appreciate someone reviewing the pull request when possible
to resolve this formatting inconsistency and maintain the reliability of
Nmap's SMB version detection.

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
Yam Mesicka

[1] https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/2744
[2] https://github.com/nmap/nmap/pull/2745