oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: swfdec 0.6.8 stable update

From: Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:58:52 +0200

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 06:22:57PM +0200, Nico Golde wrote:
Hi Marcus,
* Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de> [2008-08-19 16:48]:
Wonder if we should track updates for swfdec. The 0.6.8 announcement
looks like it at least fixes several Denial of Service problems:
[...]
I have problems to understand why this would be a Denial of
Service. While I don't share the opinion about browser
crashes I think there are at least good arguments for both
sides.

If it can be triggered by a SWF on the website, I would perhaps
call it a security issue.

If it crashes the SWF mozilla plugin and so the browser, it is
a denial of service in my eyes.

More importantly if code execution is possible.

I have however not researched those further (just saw the changelog as
packager of swfdec), and currently swfdec itself is probably not yet
fully production ready anyway.

But if swfdec crashes on playing a flash movie this
looks like an application bug. At least I wouldn't talk
about Denial of Service if vim would crash on opening a text
file.

Yeah.

It would be interesting what is causing this crash and if
there is underlying a more serious issue.

Not really investigated and no time :/ Since swfdec is beta and not yet
wildy iin use we could let it rest.

Ciao, Marcus