oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE Request - roundcubemail

From: Jan Lieskovsky <jlieskov () redhat com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:17:01 +0100

Hello guys,

On Sat, 2008-12-13 at 13:54 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Raphael Geissert:

I became aware of some sort of code execution vulnerability one day
before that ticket was reported. After reviewing the file I
determined that it isn't a vulnerability in roundcube, but in PHP
itself; but I'm open to be proved wrong.

I think this is a documented feature of preg_replace with the "e"
flag, comparable to what happens when you use string concatenation to
create SQL statements.

Yes, according to:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=35960

the behavior of 'e' modifier in the preg_replace function is
expected and well documented feature:

http://php.net/manual/en/reference.pcre.pattern.modifiers.php

So the problem isn't in PHP itself, the problem is
roundcubemail (and possibly other applications) use it
in wrong/improper/vulnerable way.

--
Jan iankko Lieskovsky / Red Hat Security Response Team