oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: kernel information leak via userspace USB interface

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () linus mitre org>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:53:30 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Marcus Meissner wrote:

Are we considering "giving desktop local users unintended rights"
a security issue or not?

from a CVE purist perspective, if the security model is that "users with physical access should not be able to read portions of kernel memory" then a violation of that is technically a vulnerability, even if the attack complexity is high - assuming that there isn't already some easier way that the attacker can get the same results through legitimate means. Being able to crash the system by plugging in a USB device (for example) is about as easy as the defenestration exploit - i.e. throwing the computer out the window - so in that case I wouldn't view it as a vulnerability. If someone with physical access can read the kernel memory that's being leaked, if don't already own the box, that seems a little more like a vulnerability to me.

- Steve