oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request / Discussion -- vino -- reports the desktop being reachable only over the local network, when reachable from everywhere

From: Josh Bressers <bressers () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 07:58:38 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 12:02 +0100, David King wrote:
It should be noted that the UPnP feature is disabled by default, so the
user has the option to *enable* it. I concede that the string presented
in the UI needs improvement.

That isn't CVE-worthy, though, surely?

Of course, I agree that indication of the consequences would be
appropriate,

That's CVE-2011-1164.

and also disallowing the 'none' authentication method if UPnP is
enabled.

And that, again, is not at all specific to UPnP.

Disallowing the 'none' authentication method is would be appropriate
whenever the machine is accessible from the outside world, whether that's
through UPnP or just by listening on a publicly-available IP address.

I probably should have been more clear here. I was under the impression the
CVE id applied to instances where it would use UPnP and no auth, which is
dangerous and should probably include a big warning with a button that says
"I know what I'm doing (but probably not really)".

UPnP by itself is not a security flaw.

Sorry for the confusion.

--
    JB