oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: kernel: multiple issues in ROSE

From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley () rcf-smtp mitre org>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:28:51 -0400 (EDT)

Given the complexity/number of patches, one could arguably call it "lack of length validation" entirely, but I think it's reasonable to give it a few CVE's. Note - we need different CVE's for the issues found by Dan Hutchings versus those found by Dan Rosenberg.

Dan, could you confirm that this breakdown makes sense?

1) buffer overflows (not validating length is <= the maximum)

2) use of negative signed integers in memcpy() and other operations where
   conversion creates a large unsigned integer, referred to as
   "underflow"

3) any other types of problems that aren't covered by those two?  (The
   length validation checks don't always have enough context in the source
   code).

We would need separate CVE's for the issues found by Dan versus the issues found by Ben Hutchings.

Arguably, #2 could probably be broken down further, but without enough source code context in the patches, it's not immediately clear.

- Steve