oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD 4.x OpenSSH/libopie remote root hole

From: Sebastian Krahmer <krahmer () suse de>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 11:36:36 +0200

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 03:09:06AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
Hi,

I'd be interested in more detail on this bug.  So far, the closest to a
description of the bug that I saw is this:

http://lists.openwall.net/full-disclosure/2011/07/01/4

but it's not enough.

I'd like to learn not only on my own, but also on others' mistakes. ;-)
And for this purpose it does not matter how old the software is and
whether it is still supported or not.

Colin - any comments from you?  I realize the bug is not yours, but
perhaps you're one of the few people who have figured it out now, for a
reason similar to mine.

Red Hat - a lesson for you might be to stop linking sshd against so
many libraries (over 20 last time I checked).  Don't wait until your
remote root, really. ;-)  Yes, this means dropping some functionality,

What a true word, probably not just for RedHat.

-s

--

~ perl self.pl
~ $_='print"\$_=\47$_\47;eval"';eval