oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: vsftpd download backdoored

From: Eugene Teo <eugene () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 20:30:57 +0800

On 07/05/2011 01:25 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 06:56:57PM +0200, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
IIRC for such backdoored downloads CVE IDs were assigned in the past
to properly track the status of distributions providing the affected
piece of code.

I suspect that no distributions provide the affected code this time.
So if affected distributions is the only reason for CVE ID assignment in
this case, it might make sense to postpone CVE ID allocation until we
learn of an affected distribution (which we probably won't).

But with a CVE name, it is easier for people to refer to this issue, and
also easier for distributions to publish an official statement.

My two cents.

Eugene