oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: libdbus hardening

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:08:04 +0200

On 07/17/2012 12:02 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 04:12:09PM +0200, yersinia wrote:
But exists in other linux libc implementation similar more secure
alternatives to getenv ?

I'm not aware of other Linux libc's having this, but I proposed
__secure_getenv() (as well as OpenBSD'ish issetugid() or/and
__libc_enable_secure) for addition to musl.  (No, I did not write any
code for this.  I merely told Rich and heard back.)  I may be biased,
but I think that musl is the main alternative to glibc on Linux now.

Note that GNU libc will likely change the name to secure_getenv. Upstream does not want to document __secure_getenv as-is.

See the discussion here:
http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-07/msg00213.html