oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: hs-tls: Basic constraints vulnerability

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:59:59 +0100

On 01/20/2013 01:32 PM, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:

For hs-tls (TLS/SSL implementation in haskell) it was announced the following
advisory[0]:

----cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut---------cut-----
Hi cafe,

this is a security advisory for tls-extra < 0.6.1 which are all vulnerable to bad
certificate validation.

Some part of the certificate validation procedure were missing (relying on the
work-in-progress x509 v3 extensions), and because of this anyone with a correct
end-entity certificate can issue certificate for any arbitrary domain, i.e.
acting as a CA.

This problem has been fixed in tls-extra 0.6.1, and I advise everyone to upgrade as
soon as possible.

Despite a very serious flaw in the certificate validation, I'm happy that the
code is seeing some audits, and would want to thanks Ertugrul Söylemez for the
findings [1].

[1] https://github.com/vincenthz/hs-tls/issues/29

I believe an alternative description of the impact is: hs-tls-extras does not check the Basic Constraints attribute of a certificate in certificate chain procession, and any certificate is treated as a CA certificate, which means that anyone who has a valid certificate can use it to sign another one (with an arbitrary subject DN/domain name embedded into it) and have it accepted by hs-tls. This eventually allows MITM attacks on TLS connections.

Kurt, is this more to your liking? 8-)