oss-sec mailing list archives

RE: Flightgear remote format string

From: "Christey, Steven M." <coley () mitre org>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 15:48:36 +0000

Andrés,

Here is my interpretation of the problem.  I believe there is some confusion because people don't usually think that a
flight simulator could be accessible from a "remote" location.

Is the following correct?

1) The Flightgear package includes a network server.  This server can be run using fgfs.exe and specifying a port
number using the "-telnet" argument, for example.

2) The format string problem is in the server.

3) Your exploit makes a connection to the server (on port 5501).

4) The exploit sends a number of format strings in the cloud names (using the "property tree").  For some reason, it
sends the same command 5 times, and it sends this command for "layers" 1 through 5.

5) The exploit causes the server to crash.

- Steve