oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: SSL BREACH

From: Stefan Fritsch <sf () sfritsch de>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 19:20:06 +0200

Am Dienstag, 6. August 2013, 20:11:53 schrieb cve-assign () mitre org:
I assume this will get handled like CVE-2009-3555?

http://threatpost.com/breach-compression-attack-steals-https-secret
s-in-under-30-seconds/101579

http://it.slashdot.org/story/13/08/05/233216

https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2013/aug/06/breach-and-django/

MITRE has looked at this in some depth but has not yet decided
whether this can be treated as a vulnerability in a protocol, with
one CVE shared across every product. We do realize that
http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/987798 currently contains one CVE ID.

Not sure if anyone had this idea before: Browsers could mitigate this
by not sending "Accept-Encoding: gzip" if a request is cross-domain
and contains some sort of credentials (HTTP-auth, cookies with the
'secure' attribute, client certificate, ...). This would stop the vast
majority of attack scenarios while leaving compression enabled for
most requests.