oss-sec mailing list archives

CVE-2014-4014: Linux kernel user namespace bug

From: Andy Lutomirski <luto () amacapital net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 14:49:03 -0700

The internal function inode_capable was used inappropriately.
Depending on configuration, this may be usable to escalate privileges.
A cursory inspection of my Fedora box suggests that it is not
vulnerable to the obvious way to exploit this bug.

The fix should appear in Linus' -master shortly, and it's tagged for
stable.  In the mean time, I've attached it here.

I'll follow up in a day or two with a description of the actual bug,
or one of you can try to beat me to it.

--Andy