oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: so, can we do something about lesspipe? (+ a cpio bug to back up the argument)

From: Michael Samuel <mik () miknet net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:25:34 +1100

On 23 November 2014 at 20:24, Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () coredump cx> wrote:
Ultimately, I think that there's an expectation that running less on a
downloaded file won't lead to RCE, and the lesspipe behavior in many
distros is almost certainly violating that. I'm also not sure if the
automation actually scratches any real itch - I doubt that people try
to run 'less' on CD images or ar archives when knowingly working with
files of that sort.

WDYT?

It's distros that are shipping the lesspipe defaults (AFAIK), and
at-least the ones you
mentioned have "sandbox" capabilities.  I think it's reasonable on
Ubuntu and RHEL
to use AppArmor/SELinux to be paranoid in a lesspipe context (eg. not
allow access
to private files etc - it pipes right?).

Regards,
  Michael