oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Insecure file upload in Berta CMS

From: Simon Waters <simon.waters () surevine com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:35:43 +0100

On 28 Mar 2015, at 05:47, cve-assign () mitre org wrote:

Signed PGP part
http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2015/Mar/155

We found that the file upload didn't require authentication.

Use CVE-2015-2780 for this "didn't require authentication" issue.

Thanks

The ability to bypass image validation by using certain .php files
that begin with a "GIF89" substring might be considered a bug, but is
perhaps not a security bug.

Your analysis is similar to mine, and private correspondence with the developer.

I've added a comment to PHP docs for getimagesize to remind folks it doesn't validate images, I don't think this is a
bug.

It might be a useful feature for PHP to have a simple file upload validation (Image magick has one), but there is no
guarantee that valid files won't be misinterpreted as malicious if you can get them interpreted in an inappropriate
context.