oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: cpio -- directory traversal

From: Alexander Cherepanov <ch3root () openwall com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 03:08:49 +0300

On 2015-02-02 20:48, Vitezslav Cizek wrote:
* Dne Friday 16. January 2015, 03:44:25 [CET] Alexander Cherepanov napsal:
cpio is susceptible to a directory traversal vulnerability via symlinks.

Here's a patch we use in SUSE for some time.

Thanks for sharing!

It forbids to write over symlinks, similar to bsdtar.

Nice, this is a simple and easy approach. But I wonder if it's widely acceptable. GNU tar follows symlinks which are not extracted from the archive and, in http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2015/01/08/4, Florian Weimer said: "If [the current directory] already contains symbolic links, some users expect that those links are followed because they have used symlinks to move part of the file system tree to somewhere else (perhaps a large file system)."

--
Alexander Cherepanov