oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Libarchive/bsdtar: multiple crashes

From: Agostino Sarubbo <ago () gentoo org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 12:59:40 +0200

On Thursday 15 September 2016 17:52:52 Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
Hello all.

I'd like to make people aware of the following crashes in
libarchive/bsdtar
found by fuzzing (all issues are public on github):

The most dangerous, an out of bounds stack write (which is also fixed
upstream):
https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2016/09/11/libarchive-bsdtar-stack-based-buffer
-overflow-in-bsdtar_expand_char-util-c/

The following are buffer over read of 1 (all are unfixed upstream ATM):

https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2016/09/11/libarchive-bsdtar-heap-based-buffer->
overflow-in-detect_form-archive_read_support_format_mtree-c/
https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2016/09/11/libarchive-bsdtar-heap-based-buffer
-overflow-in-read_header-archive_read_support_format_7zip-c/
https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2016/09/11/libarchive-bsdtar-memory-corruption
unknown-crash-in-bid_entry-archive_read_support_format_mtree-c/
https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2016/09/11/libarchive-bsdtar-heap-based-buffer
-overflow-in-bid_entry-archive_read_support_format_mtree-c/

As stated in the posts, the two latest bug could be the same, but I
didn't
have an upstream response about, so I posted both stacktrace to
better
track  the issues.

The following are use-after-free (all are unfixed upstream ATM):
https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2016/09/11/libarchive-bsdtar-use-after-free-in->
bid_entry-archive_read_support_format_mtree-c/
https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2016/09/11/libarchive-bsdtar-use-after-free-in
-detect_form-archive_read_support_format_mtree-c/

As stated in the posts, they could be the same.
I didn't have an upstream response too for those.

All issues mentioned in the previous posts, are now fixed in git.
I updated all posts with the git commit.

--
Agostino