oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: The Internet Bug Bounty: Data Processing (hackerone.com)

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 08:42:08 -0600

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Guido Vranken <guidovranken () gmail com>
wrote:

I found a buffer overflow in one of the projects within 30 minutes,
and there are probably many more issues to be found (as in virtually
any large, unaudited project). What makes this project special
compared to other bug bounties for C libraries (such as the regular
Internet Big Bounty programs) is that they require a full, reliable
exploit.

If they would be willing to be lenient in their qualification of what
constitutes a working exploit, such as exploitation of a binary
without advanced anti-exploit protections such ASLR, I might bother,
otherwise I won't. Enhancing open source projects is a honourable

The simple reason being is it gets rid of all the chaff and time wasters.
Anyone can run a fuzzer and find a crash case. That's not what we need, we
need a root cause analysis that identifies where in the code it failed, or
a reliable exploit that causes code exec so we can do the research and
actually figure out if this is exploitable or not. Their money, their rules.

All in all I think they should reconsider their current program
stipulations, if only to increase their own return-on-investment
(making the internet safer with a limited funding).

Guido

I think you're forgetting about the cost of analyzing a lot of false
positives. This is why I push back and ask for more information on a lot of
CVE requests now.

--

PGP A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
Red Hat Product Security contact: secalert () redhat com