oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Fw: Security risk of vim swap files

From: Michael Orlitzky <michael () orlitzky com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:52:41 -0400

On 11/01/2017 11:41 AM, Z5T1 wrote:

" Move the swap file location to protect against CVE-2017-1000382
silent !install -d -m 700 ~/.vim/swap/ 2>&1 > /dev/null
set directory=~/.vim/swap/

This safely sets the swap file directory to a directory that should not
cause any security problems.
This is what I used to do in emacs before I disabled the backups
completely. I was wondering if there were any problems with it. If there
aren't, it seems like a better default to me, for both emacs and vim.

It might be interesting to ask upstream how they'd feel about moving them.