oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: RCE in Exim reported

From: Phil Pennock <oss-security-phil () spodhuis org>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 18:50:31 -0500

On 2017-11-24 at 22:59 -0500, Phil Pennock wrote:
In Post-Thanksgiving mail-catchup, I see that the Exim Project was
gifted with a couple of surprises in our public bugtracker on Thursday
morning.  Complete with proof-of-concept small Python script.

I've requested CVEs, don't have them yet.

bugs.exim.org/2199 :
  Use-after-free remote-code-execution
  CVE-2017-16943

bugs.exim.org/2201 :
  stack-exhaustion remote DoS
  CVE-2017-16944

Fix for the former has been confirmed by the reporter and is in git.

The `exim-4_89+fixes` branch used by various OS packagers for major
bug-fixes on top of the 4.89 release has the UAF fix backported.  Work
on the DoS is under way.

  https://git.exim.org/exim.git/shortlog/refs/heads/exim-4_89+fixes

Jeremy has created a `4.next` branch with work for 4.91, which includes
re-working the API for the allocator which allowed the use-after-free to
creep in.

-Phil