oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: More Ghostscript Issues: Should we disable PS coders in policy.xml by default?

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 15:01:28 -0400

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 11:02:48 -0700 Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com>
wrote:
I would like to re-emphasize that while Ghostscript is very capable
and mature software, I consider the -dSAFER sandbox to be a fragile
security boundary and that we should consider deprecating (or
minimizing the use of) untrusted postscript.

I haven't been following the bugs in depth (just noticing the
continuous stream of them arriving), but is the issue security flaws
in just -dSAFER or is it overall security bugs? If it's the former,
given how few things actually need any of the features past what
-dSAFER offers, perhaps compiling the code by default without any such
capabilities would work well? You can't run what isn't there.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                perry () piermont com