oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2019-5736: runc container breakout exploit code

From: Aleksa Sarai <cyphar () cyphar com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 20:57:43 +1100

On 2019-02-13, EJ Campbell <ejc3 () verizonmedia com> wrote:
While fixing docker / runc is clearly the right fix, would using chattr -i
on runc be a quick mitigation for the issue? I believe that will prevent
the file from being overwritten by the exploit and Etienne Stalmans
verified that it helped:
 https://twitter.com/_staaldraad/status/1095354945073754112

The privileged user in the container could just un-set the immutable
bit using "/proc/self/fd/..." and then open it for writing. A read-only
filesystem would work much better.

Sorry, I forgot that CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE is dropped by default in
Docker. Yes that mitigation would also work.

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)