oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Linux kernel: multiple vulnerabilities in the USB subsystem x2

From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart () gathman org>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 16:28:38 -0400 (EDT)

Since we're arguing...  What would worry me is an exploit where I allow
a friend to connect their USB flash drive, it operates normally to all appearances. Nothing is auto-executed by a stupid OS (like the Iran centrifuge worm). But, the device is able to insert some privileged code through low level protocol bugs - all while operating normally as
a USB storage device.  It is not obvious how any of the USB bugs just
reported could be exploited that way - but anytime you have buffer
overflows and stuff, some evil genius might find a way.  I also worry
about file system bugs doing something similar on any removeable media,
or downloaded image.