oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: virtual consoles

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 07:12:05 -0800

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 12:34:14PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
On Mon, 02 Dec 2019 at 08:56:38 -0800, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
unprivileged users can start a new X server and switch virtual
console, even over ssh.

e.g.

$ dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.login1 /org/freedesktop/login1/seat/seat0
org.freedesktop.login1.Seat.SwitchTo uint32:2

If a uid who is not already the owner of the current VT on the seat can
do this, then that's probably a bug? If you think so, please report it
to the maintainers of logind (which is the component that would have to
change to address this).

I sent a mail to the systemd-security list, maybe they'll agree and just
change it.

Tavis.

--
taviso () sdf lonestar org | finger me for my pgp key.