oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: [CVE-2019-16782] Possible Information Leak / Session Hijack Vulnerability in Rack

From: "Stuart D. Gathman" <stuart () gathman org>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 23:09:40 -0500

On Thu, 2019-12-19 at 00:33 +0500, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

The session id itself may be generated randomly, but the way the
session is indexed by the backing store does not use a secure
comparison.

I don't understand why this is reported as something Rack-specific.

On the other hand, I don't see how a timing attack would be possible
on the most common data structures (B-Tree and Hash) used for
database indexes.

My B-tree uses minimum unique key with leading duplicates not stored
for all but the leaf nodes - so it would also (eventually - there is so
much noise in the timing measurement) give away the key via timing
attacks.

I had not thought of that angle, and I hope I remember this the next
time I am reinventing session ids.  Now I'm also wondering about other
libraries that manage session ids.  Java servlets in  Apache Tomcat?