oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Linux kernel: x86/kvm: null-ptr-deref in kvm_dirty_ring_push

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 11:06:24 +0200

On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 10:53:17AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
indeed it doesn't cross guest-host boundaries.  However, /dev/kvm is
accessible by unprivileged users, so it should be treated like any other
unprivileged NULL pointer dereference in Linux.  I do not apply an
embargo for those bugs, but whether to assign a CVE is not my choice.

Oh, indeed.  So it's a local DoS for systems with user-accessible
/dev/kvm and panic_on_oops=1, like RHEL and its rebuilds.  Makes sense
to have a CVE ID, then.  (I assume that mmap_min_addr works.)

Alexander