oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Perl's HTTP::Tiny has insecure TLS cert default, affecting CPAN.pm and other modules

From: Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen () sdaoden eu>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:56:45 +0200

Hanno Böck wrote in
 <20230420073459.003a5be2.hanno () hboeck de>:
 |On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 23:53:40 +0200
 |Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen () sdaoden eu> wrote:
 |> IMO it is no vulnerability at all since it has "always" been _very
 |> clearly_ (even very lengthily) documented in the manual page.
 |
 |A vulnerability does not go away if it's documented, and I find that a
 |rather strange take.

Hm no, i do not, the latter not at all.  You can bundle a OpenPGP
/ signify / even OpenSSL signature with something and can get
secure download even over non-encrypted channels.  Even DNSSEC was
over unencrypted channels for twenty years, and still mostly is,
so, .. that i say that one day, _that_ is strange.
I mean, i do not want to start useless and fruitless discussions,
and it will be treated as a bug in HTTP::Tiny no matter what
i say, hysteria is king.

 |Also I think this discussion was had many times before, as plenty of
 |libraries in other language ecosystems defaulted to not checking certs
 |or doing incomplete checks, and over time they all defaulted to the
 |sane thing: To make the secure setting the default.
 |The fact that apparently noone has ever checked this for a major perl
 |library (I mean - CPAN itself, the package manager, is affected) is
 |quite telling tbh.

There i agree with you.  Now OpenSSL is very likely there, and in
appropriate versions, and a usable CA might even be available also
when HTTP::Tiny goes.  Having said that, i think in NetBSD they
struggle with whether they should install a complete CA by
default, even though some may not need / want it (whatever else
reason in their long discussions appeared), i think it is in
pkgsrc only for now.  Btw, the Mozilla CA contains _only_ entries
i fully and completely trust; especially so after the state of the
Netherlands left before Christmas last year.  No.  (And no mission
here, and no nagging requirement to make money from it, either.)

(P.S.: about thirty years ago i got a handwritten letter of
appreciation from a Dutch official, who overwhelmingly thanked me
for paying a ticket i got when we were there.  So much they
appreciated honest Germans by then!)

--steffen