oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: [CVE-2023-42754] null pointer dereference in Linux kernel ipv4 stack

From: Kyle Zeng <zengyhkyle () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2023 13:27:51 -0700

On Mon, Oct 02, 2023 at 10:21:06PM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
On Mon, Oct 02, 2023 at 12:53:20PM -0700, Kyle Zeng wrote:
when the skb is rerouted through ipvs, its skb->dev is NULL. Then the
following `dev_net` call, which accesses `dev->nd_net`, becomes null
pointer dereference.

When reporting issues like this, please always note the privileges
required for attack.  For the example above, it appears to be
CAP_NET_ADMIN within the namespace:

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, CAP_NET_ADMIN is required for triggering
the bug (at least for the attached proof-of-concept code), which can be
obtained in user namespace (enabled by default in most desktop environments).

And thank you for letting me know. I will report the privilege
requirement properly next time.

Best,
Kyle Zeng