oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Linux: Disabling network namespaces

From: nightmare.yeah27 () aceecat org
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:01:36 -0700

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 09:52:10AM GMT, Georgia Garcia wrote:

I just wanted to add that in the Ubuntu Noble Numbat release we are
using AppArmor to restrict unprivileged user namespaces.

Applications that don't have an AppArmor profile will use a default
profile which denies the use of capabilities within the user
namespace.  Applications that need to use capabilities will have to
be confined by a profile. Since we understand that creating an
AppArmor profile might not be a trivial task for large programs, we
introduced the "unconfined" flag which makes the profile act as if
it were unconfined from the perspective of AppArmor, allowing all
operations.

There are more details here:

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/noble-numbat-release-notes/39890#unprivileged-user-namespace-restrictions-13

I wonder if this (at least the kernel part of it) is already in the
latest PopOS rolling updates? I see some nodes in /proc/sys/kernel
that look very related.

--
Ian