PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Airport Body Scanners

From: signupjar at gmail.com (SignupJar)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 17:51:30 -0500

The only real defenses are either leaving that part of spectrum
(frequency hopping) or make the ECM weak relative to the receiver
(highly directional antennas or high power transmit/receive mode). It is
the quintessential problem of an uncontrolled shared medium.

Arch Angel wrote:
That's exactly what I thought would be the result - I know some of the
things I worked on in the Army I dealt with different items that had
similar effects but was curious if this concept fell into the same realm...

The next question I pose is if these items are to secure our airways and
can be scrambled or jammed then our, ooooo so qualified TSA agents are
going to fall back onto the metal detector scanner and call for
maintenance as people begin to file through the "defective" body
scanner.  Wont this pose a massive flaw in the design as well as our
safety on flights?

I guess my thoughts shift away from is it possible to how to prevent.
Will any sheilding currently in development or production protect the
scanners waves and the displays of our fearless TSA agents?

2009/3/6 Manley, Jim W <jim.w.manley at lmco.com
<mailto:jim.w.manley at lmco.com>>

    Basically what you?ve described is an electronic countermeasures
    (ECM) device similar to what is used in both ground-based and
    airborne scenarios to disrupt electronic sensors operating in the
    frequency range of interest.

    Based on work I?ve done with ECM gear, depending on the location of
    the ?jammer? with respect to the scanner?s aperture, the jammer?s
    signal strength, and the jammers radiation pattern, the scanner
    operator will see something akin to what you see on a television
    receiving a very weak or no signal.  If the jammer is has enough
    signal strength and is properly positioned, the operator?s screen
    would be a ?white out.?

    Jim

    1st Immutable Law of Computer Security

    If a bad guy can persuade you to run his program on your computer,

    it's not your computer anymore.