PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Any Advice Trojan.BHO

From: shauncurry1 at gmail.com (Shaun Curry)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:37:31 -0500

Hello again everyone:

I have a client that recent was hacked.  We learned of this when an email
notification was sent from the bank stating that a "bill pay" had been sent,
but the client didn't setup any bill pay.  The money has been refunded and
the bank is contacting the FBI to prosecute.  I have learned that they were
infected by trojan.bho which as I understand is a browser helper object that
looks for SSL traffic and then keylogs user names and passwords.  Once an
SSL session is detected a ping is sent to the attacker alerting them that
SSL is being used and the somehow it sends the keylogger info via ICMP. We
have removed the BHO and they have reset all passwords.

I am curious if there is anything else I can do to prevent this attack from
happening again?  I installed and instructed the user to use Firefox and not
IE and updated all windows updates along with the antivirus.  They are using
Symantec Corporate Edition v. 10.  Is there a better antivirus to use?  They
have a PIX for a firewall....  and thats about all I can think of right
now...

Any ideas?

thanx
-Shaun