PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Folder and File Permission

From: j2mccluggage at adelphia.net (Jody & Jennifer McCluggage)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 19:55:06 -0400

Hello,

You may want to check out PowerShell.  It is very flexible and has a
"get-acl" commandlet that will return the permission on a list of folders
and files.  Here is a quick rough example:

get-childitem C:\example -recurse | get-acl  | select-object
path,owner,group,accesstostring | sort-object owner | export-csv
c:\FileACL.csv

This command will pipe out to a csv file the Owner, Group, Path, and
Permission string (sorted by owner) for each folder and file for the given
parent directory.  If you are looking just for specific permissions, you can
probably pipe it out to a where-object command.  Of course, depending upon
the size of the directory you are scanning, this may take awhile to run.

Jody