PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Firewall Audit

From: gbugbear at gmail.com (Tim Mugherini)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:21:13 -0400

I agree with Ron. Config review is where you should start. If best
practice or guidance documentation is not avaible from the firewall
vendor and internal expertise does not exist, then seriously consider
bring in a consultant with that expertise (specific to the product you
are using).

Not only will that expertise be invaluable in your audit, it will be a
fantatstic learning opportunity for those resposible for the day to
day administration.

Testing should also be done but again tools are only useful to those
experienced in them. Tools such as NMAP, for example, can be powerful
if one understands how to use the options available. Scans of a
statefull verse stateless firewall for example.

A test environment, as mentioned by Jack is also a must in my opinion
and can only assist in training those responsible.

Hope this helps.