PaulDotCom mailing list archives

NIT (Ninja in Training) looking for guidance.

From: mike.patterson at unb.ca (Mike Patterson)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 17:22:09 -0400

Jack Daniel wrote on 5/13/09 12:55 PM:
Effective communication skills will occasionally be more valuable to
you than any technical skill you may have.

Disagree.  Effective communication skills will always be at least as
valuable as your technical skill, and will frequently be the more
valuable of the two.  I don't even draw a distinction.

You may be the smartest person in the world, but if you can't prove it
to me in a way I and others I work for and with can understand, I still
won't hire you.  Yeah, you broke into my DC - great, how did you do it?
 Jibberyjabberybleebloo, I see, thank you - do you have a dictionary?

We (security pros) have enough of a bad rep that nobody wants somebody
on their team that'll just make them look worse.

In other words, practise your writing.  Try to explain the latest
vulnerability in your own words.  Get your wife and kids and dog and cat
and next door neighbour and boss and co-workers and everybody else to
read it, and see if it makes sense.  Try writing some documentation on
how to lock down that AP.  *Give references.*  Hell, try different
writing tools - not everybody needs to be a Word drone!  I write my
documentation in LaTeX.

Mike